Master Digital Writing with a Content Strategy
How fantastic would it be if your team knew how to:
- Research keywords to create findable content
- Write according to best practices to create readable content
- Use story techniques to make content understandable
- Improve calls to action to make content actionable
- Pepper content with character to make it shareable
That’s why we combined our content strategy engagements with a full-day of learning to help you master digital writing.
Our Content Strategy Bootcamp is a two-day hybrid workshop:
- Day 1: We will brainstorm the critical elements of a content strategy, including the tools your teams should use when creating content. The strong editorial content strategy that results will be adaptable for different projects.
- Day 2: We train you on content creation best practices so teams can work together to brainstorm and create examples of content. We will focus on digital messaging, copy creation and overall content strategy. We will emphasize creating user-optimized, keyword-rich content that engages, inspires and converts target audiences across digital channels.
3 Phases of a Content Strategy Bootcamp
Phase 1: Discovery (Pre-workshop)
A strategy is a roadmap for how to get from Point A to Point B. After we understand where you are (Point A), we will give you a specific set of tactics designed to accomplish your editorial and content objectives (Point B).
Discovery is about fully understanding Point A. The following steps are what will happen prior to the workshop as part of our discovery process:
- Content Assessment: We will analyze the current content and how it is performing.
- Stakeholder Interviews: We will interview stakeholders you identify as critical to the content strategy. That may include executive leadership, marketing staff and members of the content and digital strategy team. We will conduct these interviews remotely via conference calls and/or video conferencing technology that will run from 30 minutes to one hour. We will schedule no more than five stakeholder interviews.
- Competitive Landscape: We will analyze three to five other webpages you admire from other organizations. We recommend a mix of national and regional competitors.
At the end of discovery, we will present our findings in the Discovery Report. This will include the content assessment and observations from your stakeholders, as well as any other findings we may uncover.
Phase 2: Planning (Day 1)
We follow a very clear system for content planning within an organization. We will conduct an on-site workshop with the project team so that:
- The group comes to strategic decisions in a cohesive manner.
- Everyone on the team has an opportunity to understand the overall goals and objectives.
During the workshop, we will identify the following:
- Core Strategy Statement: This will inform the entire content development strategy statement for the project.
- Personas: We cannot implement a content strategy unless we understand the audience for the content. We will create five to six clear customer composites that represent your audience.
- Identity Pillars: All great brands are associated with a few adjectives. We will seek to understand the current state of your brand, as well as where you would like to move it. Understanding those major points will help all content creators throughout the organization. Even if the name of the brand changes, we can still seek to define the attributes of the brand.
- Messaging Architecture: Using this tool, we can set priorities for messages and sub-messages throughout the enterprise. It also helps organize our editorial calendar because we know which “pillars” to cycle through at appropriate time intervals.
- Voice and Tone: How you say what you need to say is often as important as what you are saying. We will create a voice and tone document that will guide all future content creators.
At the end of the content planning phase, we will provide:
- A Content Planning Report that will include all of the information we have learned up until this point in the project. We will use the tools we create within the content planning report during training the following day.
- An Editorial Toolkit (a blueprint for users within the organization to work from when creating content)
Phase 3: Training (Day 2)
Once we have developed the basics of the content strategy, there is no better time to learn to create content. The second day of our engagement will focus on an in-depth workshop in digital messaging, copy creation and overall content strategy. We will emphasize creating user-optimized, keyword-rich content that engages, inspires and converts target audiences across digital channels.
During the workshop, you will be learning by doing.
The second day of the workshop focuses on the following core skills:
- Researching your audience and crafting engaging content for them
- Understanding how search engines crawl through your site and the back end code that influences writing choices
- Learning about content strategy and digital publishing
- Negotiating with others within the organization to produce user-friendly content that satisfies marketing needs
The overall goal is for the content team to hone their web writing skills and use a consistent approach to:
- Understanding content and content strategy, including breaking content into three distinct parts and using those parts to create strategic content that is designed with your audience in mind
- Identifying business strategies and how to apply them to content
- Writing and thinking about content for mobile devices
- Managing the editing process with subject matter experts and how to improve stakeholder relationship management
- Working with subject matter experts to create exciting content. This part of the workshop will include role-playing.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Writing for spiders vs. people
- H1, H2 and H3 tags and how to use them
- Researching keywords
- Understanding user behavior online
- Measuring content against a matrix for value
- Writing content using four tried and true practices for engaging readers
- Brainstorming ideas for different types of content formats
Ready for a Content Strategy Bootcamp? Contact us today.
Just looking for ways to master digital writing? Learn more about our digital writing workshops.