The problem with most organizations is that they are afraid to define themselves, because that would lead to the world knowing who they really are. Really? Are we seriously still trying to play footsie with our customers?
Brands forget that they are personalities. The more they showcase their unique qualities, the better off they are in terms of getting customers, making money and generating social media buzz.
So why are most digital strategies boring beyond belief? Or worse, just a set of goals and tactics, mislabeled as a strategy?
Digital Strategy: Why You Should Put Customers First
The problem is most brands think about what they want to say, instead of focusing on the problems customers want solved. Think of the average person. Know what he’s thinking about? Himself. (It’s true for the female gender as well).
If you really want to shake it up, you MUST STOP PRETENDING, and you must start getting real. This is probably a radically different approach for you, so it will take some time to adapt.
Start focusing on the results people get, instead of the benefits you provide.
Here are some examples to get you thinking in the right direction:
- We sell books and tons of other stuff online at lower prices.
- Instead: We get you the products you want to your doorstep in 2 days.
- We design forward thinking technology that gives you access to your own content.
- Instead:You can carry the equivalent of 10,000 CD’s on one small pocket device.
- We sell luxury jewelry that is timeless.
- Instead: When you give the woman you love a piece of our jewelry, she will pledge her undying love to you forever.
5 Ways to Fix Your Digital Strategy
When you focus on the result—or better yet, the feeling you give to your customers when you solve your problems, you’ll have better results. Here are 5 reasons your digital strategy may be vanilla, and how to fix them:
It’s definitely a different way to think. You may have to defend it to the C-suite. But trust me, when you start focusing on your customers’ pain, instead of your own, you’ll find that there are more pain-free days ahead for both of you.